- Prize in the Zilveren Camera (2nd in category Foreign documentary series) for RED.
- Social Documentary Network Award (for Law&Order).
- Bourse FNAC 2011
- Runner-Up in the 2011 Photography Contest of The Forward Looking Museum (Artist Level), New York, NY, USA.
- Two prizes in the Zilveren Camera (1st in category Portraits, 3rd in Art, Culture and Entertainment)
- Art of Photography Show (San Diego, CA) Award.
- Nominated for the Santa Fe Prize for Photography (Santa Fe, NM)
- VPRO Bob den Uyl Prijs (with author Dick Wittenberg), for the book Binnen is het donker, buiten is het licht.
- Lead Academy 2007 Certificate of Honor (most prestigious German award for printed and online media) for “Wir sind der Staat” (We Are The State), published in Cicero Magazine (September 2007).
- Dick Scherpenzeel Fotografieprijs for photography focusing on the non-Western, developing world for Het gezicht van de armoede (see previous item)
- World Press Photo 2004, Documentary Portrait Series, for the India chapter of the project Bureaucratics (see reference under Books).
- Prize of Prague 2004, for the India chapter of the project Bureaucratics (see reference under Books)
- ICODO-Prijs for contributions to the understanding of the consequences of organized violence, including war, for the book Sporen van oorlog:
Overlevenden van de Birma- en de Pakanbaroe-spoorweg (see reference under Books).
- Dick Scherpenzeel Fotografieprijs for photography focusing on the non-Western, developing world for the Mozambique section of the project Bureaucratics (see reference under Books; this section was not included in the book by the same title).
- Honorable Mention, Unicef Photo of the Year 2001, for the series Kinderen van de witte mist (Children of the White Mist) about the post-war consequences of the use of Agent Orange during the Vietnam War.
- ASN-ADO Mediaprijs for photography focusing on the multicultural society in The Netherlands for a series on a Dutch boxing club.
- Karel de Grote-prijs (Charlemagne Prize) from the city of Nijmegen for complete body of work.
- Ten awards and nominations in the De Zilveren Camera contest (see above).