Crowdfunding Photo Book Law and Order / Jan Banning
Voor Nederlandse crowdfunding opties zie janbanning.com/nl
Law and Order
Jan’s latest project Law and Order is a photo project that compares the criminal justice system in Colombia, France, Uganda and the United States of America. The choice of the four countries was made in consultation with the Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law (MPI) in Freiburg, Germany.
Law and Order gives a human face to the authorities responsible for the investigation (police), trial of offenses (judges and lawyers) and the execution of sentences (prisons). Jan was able to gain access to these institutions – often with great difficulty – and he was also able to photograph suspects and convicts. Law & Order raises questions such as: how do we deal with criminals? What is the relationship between punishment and crime? Is confinement, besides being an instrument of punishment, also effective as a means of correction?
The photographs will be presented as an international traveling exhibition and published in a beautiful photo book with approx. 75 photos, which were taken in various police stations, courts and prisons in the four aforementioned countries.
Besides the photographs, the book also contains:
– an Artist’s Statement from Jan Banning
– an introduction by Michiel Scholtes who spent seven years in various prisons in France
– outlines of the legal system and aspects of crime in the four countries in which Jan took photographs, written by employees of the Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law in Freiburg, Germany
– crime statistics and infographics concerning these and other relevant countries.
The days of publishers investing in photo books are as good as over. These days, photographers must raise the necessary production costs themselves. Without external funding it will be impossible to publish Law and Order in book form. Jan has already started a crowdfunding campaign within the Netherlands to raise an amount of €8,000. In the first three days, he already raised €3,500. The international crowdfunding allows people outside of the Netherlands to also donate to the project. All donations will go towards making the Law and Order book possible.
Preliminary design of the book
Format 240 x 320 mm
144 pages, with 75 photos approx.
Design: Peter Jonker
Publisher: Ipso Facto (Utrecht, Netherlands)
Your financial contribution can help make this book a reality! Please choose from the many options below.
In the unlikely event that publication of the book does not take place, Jan guarantees a full refund of the amount donated.
- $ 55. You will receive a signed copy of the Law & Order book, including free shipping, plus your name will be mentioned in the book as a supporter. You will also receive 4 Law & Order postcards. These postcards, with pictures of the Law & Order photos, are printed in a limited edition of 500.
- $ 65. You will receive all of option “1” above, plus an i-book copy of Jan’s previous book Down & Out in the South, which includes 42 studio portraits of homeless people in the southern United States.“There is a directness to Banning’s work that resists accusations of exploitation. Banning’s subjects feel like participants in their image-making.”
Felicia Feaster in photo festival “Atlanta Celebrates Photography” Guide
- $ 95. You will receive all of option “1” plus a physical copy of Jan’s previous book Down & Out in the South, which will be shipped to you for free.NB: Jan’s previous books, such as Comfort Women and Bureaucratics are sold out and are no longer available. The expectation is that Down & Out in the South will also be sold out soon and no longer available.
- $250. You will receive 5 autographed copies of the Law & Order book, including free shipping, plus your name will be mentioned in the book as a supporter. You will also receive 20 Law & Order limited edition postcards.
- $ 2000. You will receive 50 autographed copies of the book Law & Order, including free shipping. Your copies of the book will contain a very special mention of your name (or your organization’s name) and include your logo if desired, as an exclusive company gift (for example: “This book is offered to you as a gift from law firm XYZ”).
Of course you can also decide to purchase a limited edition Law & Order print or one of Jan’s other works through Fontana gallery.
For more information
Suzanne van Leendert (Crowdfunding Coordinator)
“Banning’s work carefully walks a line between document and art, banter and serious critical inquiry, showing a sophistication that marks him as one of the great portrait documentarians of our time.”
Brett Abbott | Curator of Photography and Head of Collections, High Museum of Art, Atlanta.